quarta-feira, 21 de março de 2007

So I know it's been a hot minute since I wrote last but boy have I been busy...
Had a meeting with DJ/TV&Radio personality, Marcson Muller, last week at Radio Nativa, which was both inspiring and intersting. I wanted to find out a bit more how radio works here in Rio and source some contacts for equipment - especially radio desks, CDJs and MD recorders.

I'm also hoping to get him involved further in the project as he's doing something similar in another favela - it's not a radio station, but he is trying to elevate the status of the faveladors. His aim is to teach the Baile Funk MCs about the music industry - how to make money from it, how to distribute tunes, how to market themselves etc. He is so passionate about it I was in awe. He was saying that each favela has its own separate culture & identity and that, although a lot of imformation gets out about the favela, it is more often than not wrong. For 100,000 people living in the favela no more than 20 are really bad - selling drugs, killing etc. Most, like the rest of us, just want a good life and to do better. Unfortunately only the footballers make it out, and although the musicians and dancers have incredible talent they are presently unable to make a living from their skills.

Marcson also took me to a wicked party in the evening - braps to the local samba!!

Nenhum comentário: